The subject of Workers Compensation does not always conjure up visions of good news for employers in Ohio, but there may be some positive developments on the horizon. Consider, for instance:
- Expected Loss Rates for the next fiscal year are expected to remain the same
- Cafeteria Plan Discounts are being given serious consideration for implementation in the 2013 Rating Year, with options to include:
- Drug Free Workplace Discount;
- Safety Council Participation Discount;
- Potential Mandatory Vocational Rehab for Claimants (though this would likely require a legislative mandate to change current law). Keep in mind that disability benefits paid to claimants who participate in a BWC approved rehab program are NOT charged to the employer;
- Transitional Duty Discounts;
- Discounts if your organization has never had a lapse in BWC coverage;
- A “Go Green” discount for paying premiums online, instead of by mail.
More to come as the BWC Board of Directors continues to meet and fine tune these possible options.